Re: Sunday on Utopian Radio:Easy99.1(wasRe:NERW 3/19: Jocks Go To Court Over...)

OK, I agree that when I'm not in the mood for something
a little more classical (at which point I usually tune
in WBOQ--provided I'm somewhere where I can receive it
decently), WPLM-FM has the best music on the commercial
FM dial.

But the signal? I describe it as a rimshot, wherever you
go in southern New England. I live atop Belmont Hill, on
the west side--near Lexington. It's one of the highest
spots in greater Boston. WPLM-FM comes in pretty well on
my SuperRadio III on the first floor and on a decent
(also mono) AM-FM portable upstairs. In one car in the
garage, which is under the house, I get a solid stereo
light. On the other car in the same garage, the stereo
light flickers continually. The rest of my radios don't
pick up WPLM-FM at all.

Driving to work, as I approach Watertown Square, WPLM
becomes _very_ iffy. And things get worse as I proceed
up Galen St toward Newton Corner. Driving out Washington
St toward W Newton, reception gets progressively worse.
This happens even in the car whose radio picks the
station up in stero without problems in my garage.

I'm beginning to wonder whether the problem is front-end
overload. I thought that all of the FMs were gone from
the 128 antenna farm except WBUR, WBOS, and WCRB. Are
three stations, which are the equivalent of full Class
Bs in my direction, at a distance of maybe three airline
miles from W Newton enough to totally clobber WPLM-FM?

The cars are both old, but the radios are still OK
(except for bad ignition noise on AM in one of the cars).