Re: WMEX/WITS/WMRE

At 01:28 AM 3/21/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Since the station leased the property for a transmitter site, I would think
>the contract wouldn't have (or shouldn't have) given the landlord the
>right to cut the ground system like that.  Without actually seeing the
>documents, I can't say more, but I wonder whether the station ever
>consdiered suing.

The station never knew. Just before the station went back on the air in
1987, the new owner's engineers were doing proofs of performance. (I think
we've established that it was Noble Bradcasting that bought the license
after Mariner Communications went belly up and WITS had been dark for about
six months.) I visited the site and told one of the engineers the story,
which by then, probably dated back close to five years. He said that he
wasn't surpised. He said that, although the antenna system met the terms of
the license, so much work had gone on at the site that distorted the
patterns that it would be a huge job to bring the performance back to what
it had been when the original proofs were done. He said that he didn't think
the result would be worth the effort and he was quite sure that if the new
owners knew the story, they'd agree with his assessment.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205