Re: WMEX/WITS/WMRE

On 21 Mar 99,  Dan Strassberg wrote:

> The station never knew. Just before the station went back on the air in
> 1987, the new owner's engineers were doing proofs of performance. (I think
> we've established that it was Noble Bradcasting that bought the license
> after Mariner Communications went belly up and WITS had been dark for
> about six months.) I visited the site and told one of the engineers the
> story, which by then, probably dated back close to five years. He said
> that he wasn't surpised. He said that, although the antenna system met the
> terms of the license, so much work had gone on at the site that distorted
> the patterns that it would be a huge job to bring the performance back to
> what it had been when the original proofs were done. He said that he
> didn't think the result would be worth the effort and he was quite sure
> that if the new owners knew the story, they'd agree with his assessment.

That still raises the question of why the station didn't at some point
consider suing the landlord for destroying its ground system.  That
could have won them enough to fix the damage.  But it sounds as
though by the time they knew what happened, the applicable statute of
limitations may have passed.

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/