Re: WMEX/WITS/WMRE

On 20 Mar 99,  Dan Strassberg wrote:

> So the landlord removed the lights from the towers, and after the office
> building was up, he bit the bullet and put in lighting standards to
> illuminate the parking lot. Back came the grooving machine. It was
> necessary to groove the hot-top to install the conduit that carries ac to
> the lighting standards. I watched as a workman cut roughly a quarter of
> the ground wires for the west tower no more than 75' (about 1/8
> wavelength) from the tower base. A large guy in a large car sat there
> "supervising." I went over to him and asked if he understood that his
> workman was systematically destroying the radio station's ground system.
> The big fellow got out of his car, drew himself up to his full height, and
> asked "What's it to you, buddy?" "N-n-nothing...n-n-nothing at all," I
> replied and beat a very hasty retreat.

Since the station leased the property for a transmitter site, I would think
the contract wouldn't have (or shouldn't have) given the landlord the
right to cut the ground system like that.  Without actually seeing the
documents, I can't say more, but I wonder whether the station ever
consdiered suing.

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/