Re: WFNX -- don't leave home without it.

Smyth, Sean@Beacon Mail Server said:

> Don't they have the rights to the vaunted New York Islanders,
> possibly one of the least cared-about teams in professional
> sports? After all, when you have three hockey teams no
> further than 50 miles from each other, such happens.

No. The Islanders are back on Medium Wave, at One-ON-One Sports AM 62
(WJWR).

I belive they were only on FM for about one season or maybe two. It seemed
illogical that a team whose fan base extends into New York City would want
to move its game-casts to a station that has next-to-no coverage in New
York City itself (not to mention Westchester County and Northern New
Jersey).

Not that WJWR has that great a signal in most of North New Jersey and
upper Manhattan (I dunno how the signal is out on the Island) :)

In defense of WLIR (The Island-92.7) - it has always been more of a "cult"
station than a mainstream station, with a small but rabidly loyal
following.

I've seen personal ads from people who are WLIR listeners who
mention that as one of their mates' desired qualities.

 --
Sven Franklyn Weil            "The needs of the many outweigh
<sven@lily.org>                          the needs of the few