Re: Note about the Channel 5 Proceedings, 1957-1972

On 18 Mar 99,  Joseph Gallant wrote:

> Under it's original ownership (Boston Herald-Traveler), Channel 5 had
> more hours a week of local programming than any other TV station
> in the Boston area.
>
> It might have been one thing if Channel 5 only had 6 or 7 hours a week
> of local programming during the 1960's, but they had more hours of
> locally-produced programs a week than either channels 4 or 7 (but not
> both combined).
>
> This isn't to sneer at what WCVB has done over the years, but to
> point out that channel 5 has had strong local programming since 1957.

Quite true.  The FCC, in a burst of bureaucratese, said that because this
was being treated as an original license grant, rather than a renewal,
WHDH-TV did not get credit as an incumbent licensee for its good
record.  Instead, that record was considered in comparison with Boston
Broadcasters' promises.

This sort of hair-splitting is part of why I think it was just a political
power play.  I'm a liberal Democrat, and I hate to say it, but I think it
was a purely political ploy to screw a major Republican outlet in
Massachusetts.

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/