Re: Fox TV/Radio Simulcasts (Was: Re: Bob Katzen, WMRE)

On 17 Mar 99,  MikeHemeon@aol.com wrote:

> << I remember that Senator Ted Kennedy opposed the
>  granting of a waiver that would allow Murdoch to own
>  both Ch. 25 and the Boston Herald. >>
>
> Wasn't this what lost the original Channel 5 it's license??

Not quite.  At that time, it was OK for a newspaper to own a radio
station, and the FCC granted the old Boston Herald Traveler the license
for Channel 5, knowing that it was a newspaper and that it also owned
WHDH and WHDH-FM.  Needless to say, the Globe wasn't happy
about that.  Eventually, the license award was set aside after it was
revealed that the publisher of the Herald Traveler had lunch with the
chairman of the FCC while the application was pending.  They say they
didn't discuss the application, and nobody had any evidence that they
did, but it was enough to get the proceeding reopened.

So a new competitive hearing was held, and the FCC decided that the
competing application's promise was better than WHDH's record.
Then the thing went through the courts for a few years.

The legal grounds seem rather flimsy to me at best, and I've always
thought (just my speculation, I have no evidence one way or the other)
that party politics played a role in this.  The Herald-Traveler was the
newspaper voice of the Massachusetts Republican Party.  The Globe
was (and is) a liberal paper, which in those days had a reputation of
being close to the Kennedys (and to some extent still has).

The license was granted in the 1950s, by an Eisenhower-appointed
FCC.  It was set aside by a Kennedy-appointed FCC, and the award to
WHDH's competitor was made by a Johnson-appointed FCC.  After
that, the case was in the courts, where administrative decisions are
given a certain deference and where partisan politics is less present.  I'm
sure the Nixon administration would have tried to help the Herald-
Traveler if they could, but by that time, it was out of their hands.

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/