RE: WMEX/WITS/WMRE

At 08:03 PM 3/17/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Dan,
>Thanks for the response.  I appreciate your expertise here and on LTAR.  I
>still wonder if you know if WMEX had a proper "goodbye," or did the switch
>just happen.

I don't know. I suspect not. When the station went dark for six months or so
before the sale to Communicom (and the change in call sign to WNRB), it
definitely did do a finale show; I remember listening to Hilary Stevens and
Dana Hersey on my drive into work on the last morning. But I don't even
recall the call letters at the time. 1510 has had so many calls. WMEX, WITS,
WMRE, WNRB, WSSH (AM), W<something else with double letters in the
middle>KKU? And if you take the station's history back far enough (well
before my time in Boston), I believe you have to add WLOE. I think WITS came
right after WMEX, but whether WMRE came right after WITS, I don't recall.
And whether WMRE were the calls immediately before the station went dark
(and returned as WNRB), I don't know either. Maybe someone will research
this and post a chronology of 1510-Boston calls with dates (probably going
back to pre-NARBA days when what is now 1510 was 1470). Donna? Scott?

>Thanks again,
>Dave
>P.S. Have you ever been out in the woods of northern Rhode Island to see
>WALE's (990) antenna field.  That is quite a strange site with numerous
>towers surrounded by woods.

Nope. I've occasionally thought of driving to Burrillville(sp?), but have
never done it. The CP for 5 kW-N (and change of COL to Greenville)
necessitated a slight move of one of the six towers. Do you know whether
that has happened? As far as I know, the CP is still not on the air.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205