Re: Live too close to "The Eagle" Yes/No?

I wouldn't want to place any bets on this working, but
if she has a new PC with a working USB port, she might
want to try a pair of the new USB speakers. The "audio"
that travels between the PC and such speakers is a
digital bitstream, not an analog voltage (as it is in
conventional speakers). If she has a 56-kbps modem that
works, there's some chance that the USB speakers might
work. The conversion from digital to analog takes place
inside the speaker enclosure, so there is lower
likelihood that the radio-station signal that is picked
up on the wiring from the PC to the speakers will get
converted to audio. But there is certainly no guarantee.
There's an audio amplifier in each speaker and it may be
highly susceptible to the pickup.

Your friend should see whether she can get the speakers
in a place that will take them back for cash (not just a
credit) if they don't work. I'd start with a high-end
audio store, such as Tweeter.