Re: 105.7 WROR Palying the Hits of the 60's and 70's

At 12:39 PM 3/6/99 -0800, Bob Nelson wrote:

>I think WEGQ might be adding some 60s to its mix of
>70s/80s hits, almost edging even closer to "classic
>rock".

I hadn't heard them for a long time, but I've noticed they have a much
livelier presentation now.  Hadn't noticed a big difference musically...if
anything they seem to have moved away from "Classic Rock Lite" and added
more pop hits.

>A tape trader of mine sent me a tape of WQAL in
>Cleveland, which says it's "the hits of the 80s,
>90s, and today". As their website puts it,
>"Cleveland's Q-104 plays the most popular music for adults now...from
>artists like Natalie Merchant, matchbox 20, Paula Cole, The
>Wallflowers, Jewel, R.E.M. and Sarah McLachlan...plus your Cleveland
>favorite 80's from John Mellencamp, Pat Benatar and Don Henley.
>Upbeat, contemporary!"

Last time I was out that way they were a pretty standard-issue hot AC, this
seems to confirm that.  They were one of the more listenable Cleveland
stations...a year and a half ago I was not terribly impressed by much of
what I heard there.

>Is that similar to what WBMX is doing now? And if
>not, wonder if a station like that would do well
>in Boston?

I'm not sure what it is that WBMX is doing, not sure if they do.  They seem
to be playing fewer and fewer legitimate hit songs.