Re: NorthEast Radio Watch 3/5: We Will Never Make Fun of Boston Weather Again...

At 07:54 AM 3/6/99 -0800, you wrote:

>I don't get the impression that WVCR will be really competitive.
>Interesting about Buzz, though... is he programming their music?  The
>signal and dial position are not really conducive to major amounts of
>listeners.

I've never thought an advisor at a college station should ever be choosing
formats... and I've heard of it happening (at least, through subtle
persuasion). If, as has been suggested, this is a format the students like,
great... though even at a small school like Siena, there's enough diversity
that I'd rather prefer a variety of formats getting air. I mean, it's not
like ratings are supposed to matter. :)

>I agree with your comment, though about the signals in black populated
>areas.  I'm not sure, though that even the higher power stations can
>boast of decent signals in north-central and central Troy

Central Troy is an FM signal pit -- stuck in a deep valley, line of sight
to little. At my offices in downtown Troy, I get good signals from exactly
four FM stations (WGNA, WRPI, WHRL and WQAR). WYPX is listenable, WFLY
poor, and WRVE usually inaudible. It's better in a car, but not much so.

So you're basically right. :) Of the four that come in well, none save WGNA
is a powerful commercial signal.

- -- Doug Broda (dougbroda@mindspring.com)

P.S. I saw this listing in the Upstate NY Radio Guide:

98.9 W255AJ Albany (1 817'): // WPGL

*One* whole watt!

I wonder where the transmitter is and how much space that can serve?