Re: WCAP "Mega" vitamin

Bill O'Neill wrote:

  My guess is that Mega will simulcast 890 or
> 1150 programming over 1400 versus local programming, particularly
> given the weak or non-penetration of the Boston signals in the
> Merrimack Valley.  Lowell's Hispanic pop.is about 8-12% and dropping,
> accd. to figures while Lawrence (NOT Lowell-North, contrary to out of
> area observers) boasts a Hispanic majority population.
     A simulcast of one of Mega's Boston area signals is a
possibility,although given Lawrence's large Hispanic population,Mega may
run a live local format to give Pat Costa's spanish format stations(WNNW
and WHAV) a run for the money.Both WNNW and WHAV do put somewhat
listenable,but not city grade signals into Lawrence by day,and at night
neither is a factor,as WNNW is off after post sunset,and WHAV's signal in
the Lawrence area is all but useless.Costa's other station,WCCM is running
bird feed business news/talk at night,breaking away for occasional local
High School or Merrimack College sports.CCM does have some Spanish
programming on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. One thing is certain,Mega
will definitely keep the Lawrence TX on24/7!! And a Lawrence main studio
location is something that wouldn't surprise me.

> As for the WCAP some things are certain: The sale price of WCAP just
> went up.  Way up.  WLLH has a kilowatt in two cities.  WCAP has 5 kW
> in Lowell, with a nightime ERP over 6 kW aimed towards Boston at
> night.  If suitors, if there are any, had been holding out with a low
> price playing one station off of the other, that strategy just went
> away.
      One wonders if Mega tried to wheel and deal with Maurice Cohen before
they made their move on LLH? It should be interesting to see what happens
now with WCAP.if anyone comes along to offer big $$$$ to Maurice Cohen to
sell.Would he sell if the price is big????

> My perception is that the WCAP ownership is genuinely saddened by the
> sale of WLLH to an all-Spanish speaking format(s), benchmarking an end
> of an era of Lowell being a two-station town.  There are no victory
> cigars lit at 243 Central Street.  I can personally attest that both
> signals appreciated and respected the spirit of competition.  Now, the
> competion will remain solely among the account reps.
       And longtime WLLH advertisers will probably move their ad bucks over
to WCAP.Of course,you have businesses that bought spots on both
stations,but I'm not sure how many will buy on WLLH's Spanish format.

> WLLH's music moving to WCAP?  My opinion is that I can't find a
> downside.  But I'll keep looking for one......
       A downside?? This is a golden opportunity,IMHO,for WCAP to be the
dominant station in the Merrimack Valley.I read in today's (2/6) Lowell Sun
in the"Backtalk"column(where readers can call a recorded phone # or e-mail
opinions on news/events) that the WLLH sale is not being welcomed by the
folks who enjoy the Standards format.I wonder if WCAP is getting any
calls,letters,or e-mail at their web site urging them to pick up the
Standards format? If I were Maurice Cohen,I would give it serious
consideration.
Mark Watson