WCAP "Mega" vitamin

As noted in other posts, Mega drops just shy of a million for WLLH
Lowell//Lawrence.  WLLH's morning show indicates that Morning Magazine
will go off by the end of February, likely filled with music from the
box until the switch.  My guess is that Mega will simulcast 890 or
1150 programming over 1400 versus local programming, particularly
given the weak or non-penetration of the Boston signals in the
Merrimack Valley.  Lowell's Hispanic pop.is about 8-12% and dropping,
accd. to figures while Lawrence (NOT Lowell-North, contrary to out of
area observers) boasts a Hispanic majority population.

With Costa Eagle's 1490/1110/800 Haverhill/Salem, NH/Lawrence local
hold, would Mega want to make a local run at Costa? If they were to go
with a local studio, wouldn't Lawrence as the host city make more
sense than the current Lowell (Doubletree Hotel)?  Given the dual COL
with the synchronous xmtrs and the city grade in both locations (duh)
Uncle Charlie wouldn't blink.

As for the WCAP some things are certain: The sale price of WCAP just
went up.  Way up.  WLLH has a kilowatt in two cities.  WCAP has 5 kW
in Lowell, with a nightime ERP over 6 kW aimed towards Boston at
night.  If suitors, if there are any, had been holding out with a low
price playing one station off of the other, that strategy just went
away.  The Red Sox's Spinners?  No other game left in town.  Lowell
Sun owners have a habit of owning stations in bigger
markets/submarkets where they own papers.  One can assume that their
price just went up.  BUT, such a buy is currently impossible unless
the FCC moves on the docket to allow such a transaction.  Given the
ebb and flow of FCC talk lately, they seem to be in a "stop and think"
posture relative to deregulation.  Point could be moot.

My perception is that the WCAP ownership is genuinely saddened by the
sale of WLLH to an all-Spanish speaking format(s), benchmarking an end
of an era of Lowell being a two-station town.  There are no victory
cigars lit at 243 Central Street.  I can personally attest that both
signals appreciated and respected the spirit of competition.  Now, the
competion will remain solely among the account reps.

WLLH's music moving to WCAP?  My opinion is that I can't find a
downside.  But I'll keep looking for one......

I'd suggest that if you DO have an opinion relative to WCAP direction,
that you pop over to the website, click on "Chat" and let 'er rip on
one of the insidetheweb boards.  They are reading!
http://www.scryber.com/wcap

Bill O'Neill