Re: NorthEast Radio Watch 2/5: WKOX, WLLH Sold

- ---Scott D Fybush <fybush@world.std.com> wrote:

> *This just in to NERW Central at press time: Framingham's WKOX (1200)
> is being sold.  Rumors have been flying for several years about the
> fate of Fairbanks' last station, and now we can tell you that for
> $14.5 million, it's going to "B-Mass Holding Company, LLC," headed by
> one Edward Karlik.  Much more on this one next week.

He managed a TV station(a Fox affil) in Hartford in the early 90's.
Then in mid-90's, Karlik hooked up with Spanish Broadcasting
Systems(SBS)
which was founded by current Mega Communications CEO, Alfredo Alfonso.

>  Meantime, the article fails
> to mention how Boston's Rich Balsbaugh and American Radio Systems did
> indeed sell their stations to out-of-towners Chancellor, CBS, and
> Entercom...

Balsbaugh sold Pyramid to Evergreen in 7/95. Evegreen was one of the
best
pure radio companies around until Chancellor took it over in 9/97 and
made it a disaster.

To show how little Chancellor people(Hicks brothers) knew about running
radio properties, they began to push former Evergreen folks out the
door --
Scott Ginsburg(Evergeen's founder), Matt Devine and other experienced
managers in NYC, CHicago, LA and DC were gone. Chancellor was left
with senior management who had no idea who to operate
and oversee 100-station group. (Some of these well known managers
almost ran the 12-station Pyramid into the ground while Balsbaugh was
asleep at the wheel and partying around town). And then when
Chancellor and Capster moved to become a 465-station chain, whatever
little confidence Wall Street
had in Chancellor, it lost it all. When you replace Scott Ginsburg
with just another corporate suit(Jeff Marcus), be assured that Wall
Street will take notice.

- -Mark