Re: Article on WYAR

At 10:39 PM 1/30/99 -0800, Peter Q. George wrote:
>     I tend to disagree on the idea that the one man operation is "not
>what the public really needs".  That's hogwash.  I would like to apply
>for one of these stations myself and would plan to be an exceptional
>operator. My intended station would NOT be pre-programmed by some
>hotshot "radio-doctor" in L.A. or New York.  Heaven knows we've had
>enough of that.  I would use a somewhat modified "Bittner approach" as
>"a totally locally programmed and operated" station.  Local people
>want to hear LOCAL schoolboy sports programming, the town meeting,
>local news and information. I would even let the high school kids get
>in the act from the school, live during the day.  I would provide the
>best music in stereo, the likes of which  no conventional programmer
>ever dare touch.  My playlist, unlimited.  If it flows, it shows. And
>yes, I would even play stuff I personally would not like but others
>would enjoy.

Judging by this post, my guess would be that you have never worked in a
real radio station, ie one that exists as anything other than a hobby to
someone. Who would actually listen to such a station?  A few radio geeks
with no life outside of listening to weird radio and maybe the owner's
mother.  What, pray tell is "the best music in stereo, the likes of which
no conventional programmer would ever dare touch"?  Give me a break.  This
sounds like the endless posts on various music groups and
rec.radio.broadcasting by yahoos who gripe endlessly that their local
oldies station doesn't play <insert list of obscure mid-charting songs here>.

Radio sounds the way it does today because it works.  Hokey small-market
radio went away because it didn't.