Re: Hour long 6PM newscast...

Bob Nelson wrote:

> Some network-owned stations are actually offering LESS
> local news. I was just up in Burlington, VT and I
> noticed that ABC affiliate WVNY-TV 22 had re-runs of
> MASH on instead of a local 6 pm cast, and a short
> (5 min.?) news update at 11 pm followed by some sort of
> "Entertainment Tonight" type show. Maybe they figure
> they can't compete with the local newscasts on the
> CBS(Ch. 3) and NBC (Ch.5) affiliates.

I saw a fax at work sometime in the last week or so from WPTZ (Ch.5) in
Burlington announcing that they were expanding their news staff and
coverage. I don't remember the particulars, as I "recycled" the fax
immediately upon reading it.  WPTZ is not available either over the air
or on cable in this part of the state anyway.

Doug Bassett
WKVT
Brattleboro, Vt.