Re: Article on WYAR

You illustrate my point.  People are always telling me that radio is supposed
to be "public service."  Is a guy playing what he has lying around the house
public service?  It seems that some think that if it is not corporate, it is
by definition good.  If WYAR is an example of what we are going to get with
the new low power stations, I don't think that will be much an of an
improvement.  Yes, there will be more variety, which is good, but I would hope
that the new lower power stations would go to true community groups.   It
doesn't seem right that the last non-profit frequency in a market goes to a
guy that sets up a bogus non-profit corporation so he can have his own private
radio station in his basement.  If he wants to buy an existing frequency, like
Bob Bitner for example, that's a different story.

In a message dated 1/31/99 1:38:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,