Re: WKNM Lowell Update

Bill O'Neill wrote:

> FCC aside:  What puzzles me is if they are selling spots "Radio Commerciale"
> (sp) then under what legal conditions are they doing business in the
> Commonwealth?  What about IRS implications?  And shouldn't the City of
> Lowell gov't. be equally interested?  <scratching head>

Probably not.  To do business in the Commonwealth, they may need to form
some sort of business entity, but that can be done informally, if it's a
partnership or a sole proprietorship.  Many partnerships don't have written
agreements.  They should probably file a business name certificate with the
city clerk, but no one ever enforces that.  For the IRS, all they have to
do is get an Employer ID number, and they can open a bank account, etc.  So
long as they pay the taxes they're supposed to, the IRS won't care about
anything else.  Local government would be involved only if their location
isn't zoned for business or if they own real estate and aren't paying their
taxes.

- --
 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                     617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                  lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                   http://world.std.com/~lawyer/