Working Salt Water Path Signals on AM thanks to the US NAVY

Hell List:

Just returned home from my first voyage on the Navy Firgate USS Doyle,
FFG-39.
While transiting from Jacksonville, FL to Yorktown, VA, and on to
Charleston, SC and back home I had a few chances to scan the AM band to
see what I could pull in with my Radio Shack DX-390 General Coverage
(+FM) Reciever during daylight hours.

Approx 120 miles east of Cape Hatteras, WABC, WFAN, WCBS, in NYC, down
to 610, 670, and 940 in Miami. The Miami signals are close to being
washed out with the noise.The station I work for, WYHI 1570, in
Fernandina Beach, FL made it to Hatteras with it's 5kw NDA service.
(Yipee!) the ex-Big Ape 690, WOKV in Jacksonville came in well also.

Off of Charleston, SC, WFAN and WCBS were barely there at all and took
careful
listening in the noise to recognize. On 800khz, I pulled in WPLK a 1kw
NDA in Palatka, FL, which is about 30 miles inland from the ocean...
Orlando, FL,  was represented by WDBO 580, WQTM 540, and (forgot the
call sign) 740, if I nulled Moorehead City, NC's 740.  Miami had many,
many signals on 560, 670, 710, 1040 (Boynton Bch), 1160, WJNO 1330,
While in Charleston itself, I got WOAC 1420, St. Augustine @ 2.5kw...
and my station WYHI 1570 did well but WAGL 1560 @ 50kw in Lancaster, SC
would occasionally interfere via skywaves a bit.

I know I've talked with a few folks about AM salt water reception on
this list... I ocasionally get a break from my Naval duties to quickle
scan the band and thought I'd share a few of the details recalled from
my recent voyage - quite an advantageous listening post.

Now that I'm back home I can get back to the trades I had to let hang in
the balance....