Commercial Stopsets

In Maine, I haven't noticed that radio stations are running more commercials,
but stations are running longer, but fewer stopsets.  That seems to be the
trend in the industry.  When I first started in radio during the 80's, most
stations ran three or four commercial breaks per hour, each with three or four
minutes of spots.  Now stations run less breaks, each with more spots.  At
WMGX, where I work part-time, there are two breaks per hour, each with up to 6
spots.  One music set has 30 minutes and the other 15 to 20 minutes of music.
I think the theory behind fewer, but longer, stopsets is that people turn the
station anytime you run commercials so you are better off having fewer
stopsets.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine