Re: "No School" software??

In this commercialized, make-money world, where "public service" means 30
minute shorts that showcase a local charity, that run at 5am on a Sunday
morning, you'll never see stations (of different ownership) combine forces
to do school delays.

Even back in the 70's/80's, it was still the same way.  (Here we go with
those midwestern examples)...

WOWO (Fort Wayne, IN) had it's bigtime morning share.  Even into the mid
80's, it was common knowledge by everyone in the local radio biz that
other stations stole their closing lists from WOWO ... modifying them for
the individual station (WOWO's reach was/is far enough that they'll run
delays for schools that every other signal in town won't reach).  Stations
didn't have to shell out the extra $ for staff to cover delays.

But now?  We all know, in our various locales, which station to turn to,
for weather/roads/closings/delays.  Does that station capitalize by
selling certain spots that should be only ran during those bad weather
days?  I've seen some stations do just that.  And I won't comment as to
the particular stations individual levels of greed and desire to make just
one more buck.

As for the website idea, my only hesitations are hacking (an unlikely
possibility, but if a kid can penetrate the system and get a school
closing announced that isn't legit) and the ease of updating such a list.

Just my thoughts...

- -- Blaine

P.S. As for the actual subject of computer software, the only thing I've
seen is something called "School Track" ... it's an MS-DOS program, and if
you're interested in knowing more, drop me an e-mail. (this was not a
commercial announcement...)