Re: WBZ-AM protects purity of airwaves again

Donna Halper wrote:

> I can't speak for Peter Casey, but I do know WBZ tries its best to avoid
> any language that would offend families.

Some years ago, fall 1972 to be exact, I was listening to the morning news,
and he told a story to the effect that Senator McGovern was at an airport,
and someone made some nasty remark to him about how badly he was going to
lose to President Nixon.  At this point, the newscaster (Gary LaPierre, I
think) said, "I hate to do this to you, but I can't tell you what McGovern
said!"

That seemed to me particularly bad radio, to use a story, but then not give
the punchline.  So I called him up on the telephone and complained. He said
it was such a good story that he wanted to use it, but he couldn't say the
punchline over the air.  Over the phone, when I asked, he told me that
McGovern said, "Kiss my ass."

I thought there was some way he could indicate what McGovern said by some
euphemism, or else he shouldn't use the story.  He kept saying that I
wanted him to lose his job.  I didn't, but I still think he shouldn't have
told the story without the punchline.

- --
 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                     617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                  lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                   http://world.std.com/~lawyer/