Re: [neradio] That old Dupe rule

"Martin J. Waters" wrote:

>         Well, sure. You grew up to be a radio geek <g>. I didn't mean,
> literally "nobody." But I stand by the statement as I intended it--that the
> audience listening to FM was extremely small.

OK, it was smaller than the AM audience, but it wasn't "extremely" small,
and it was growing.  I remember a newspaper or magazine article in the
early 1960s which said that FM was expanding faster than television.

For example, the big 68/wrko
> tribute website includes the raw overall audience numbers from the Hooper
> rating book from June-July 1967--the first book after WRKO went top 40. My
> recollection of it is that no FM stations are listed, although the shares
> of stations that are listed go down below 1.0. I believe one station, maybe
> WCRB, is listed as AM-FM and that's the only mention of FM at all. WEEI,
> WHDH, WRKO, WBZ, (in that order, I think) accounted for 65 or 70 percent or
> more of the audience, if my recollection is halfway decent. A really
> different time. In major markets now, the top four stations might account
> for what? Twenty-five to 35 percent of the audience, tops?

OTOH, it was said at the time that what motivated WNAC to become WRKO was
the fact that the ARCOMatic whatever that they were running on FM was
surprisingly successful.
- --
 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                     617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                  lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                   http://world.std.com/~lawyer/