Re: [neradio] That old Dupe rule

>I wrote:
<snip>
>Nobody listened to FM and nobody cared about it.
>
>Joe Ross wrote:
>Actually, I think that is exaggerated a bit.  I had FM in 1958 and listened
>regularly, and I knew others who did.

	Well, sure. You grew up to be a radio geek <g>. I didn't mean,
literally "nobody." But I stand by the statement as I intended it--that the
audience listening to FM was extremely small. For example, the big 68/wrko
tribute website includes the raw overall audience numbers from the Hooper
rating book from June-July 1967--the first book after WRKO went top 40. My
recollection of it is that no FM stations are listed, although the shares
of stations that are listed go down below 1.0. I believe one station, maybe
WCRB, is listed as AM-FM and that's the only mention of FM at all. WEEI,
WHDH, WRKO, WBZ, (in that order, I think) accounted for 65 or 70 percent or
more of the audience, if my recollection is halfway decent. A really
different time. In major markets now, the top four stations might account
for what? Twenty-five to 35 percent of the audience, tops?