Re: Connecticut trip notes

>Garrett Wollman wrote:
>>Even New Haven should be well within the exclusivity zone for 3, 30,
>and 61 (not to mention 59!); certainly it's part of the same TV
>market.  All of those stations should have the right to demand network
>exclusivity on the entire system.  (Hell, most of Meriden's land area
>probably has line-of-sight to 30 and 61 in Farmington!)

        I'm way beyond clueless about this week's version <g> of the cable
TV must-carry or must-not carry rules. But, where I am, Wallingford, New
Haven County (about 80-90 miles from Central Park), the cable, TCI, carries
all the NY VHF stations, duplicating everything. 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 are
on the system. None of them are ever blacked out or switched over to carry
the Conn. affiliate instead, that I know of. The only black-outs we get,
virtually, are on Ch. 38. This cable system, again, as far as I know, runs
the same in the rest of its local franchise area--North Haven, Branford,
North Branford and maybe Cheshire.
        I have a hazy faded possible memory that somewhere I once heard
that those NY stations are considered local signals, must carry, in New
Haven County. It may be part of the NY total survey area for TV. I'm at the
extreme end of the county from NY, and I know I can get really bad signals
off at least some of them from a roof antenna. But there are parts of the
county where I think you could tune them in at least to 1960s-level quality
from the rabbit ears. Flat is us in my part of Connecticut. On a clear day,
I think I could see the Empire State Building from my roof <g>.  But, of
course, since this is Connecticut, there's never really a clear day. Cough,
cough.

Marty