Re: UMass on WADN

At 11:12 PM 11/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I noticed today that the WADN staff seemed to be completely asleep at the
>switch.  Whenever the football game broke for a station identification,
>the only legal ID heard was that of WHMP.  And the commercials all seemed
>to be from Amherst-Northampton-area businesses.

And a regular Sunday "program" on WADN now seems to be an hour of something
that sounds like a tone mixed with a lot of white noise. I imagine this is
the sound of an open carrier on a satellite transponder. I suspect that WADN
has its automation set to tune to this channel for some program that is now
on a different satellite carrier or a completely different satellite. It
would be nice if someone at WADN would check the schedule of satellite
transmissions and reprogram the automation system accordingly. However, the
last time I called WADN about a technical screwup, I got a ration of you
know what from Kelly Jean, the woman who was PD at the time. So to hell with
them. A couple of months back, WADN ran on night power and pattern 24 hours
a day for at least three days, so I called to alert them. If you check the
patterns, even though WADN's night power is lower than its day power, the
station can't use its night pattern during the day because doing so causes
interference to WNNW. In addition, of course, almost nobody outside of East
Acton can hear WADN when it runs night power, which must really please the
advertisers. Oh, I forgot, there aren't any (actually, there are a few).

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205