Re: Glenn/Cronkite interview....

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, BUMP MARTIN wrote:

> Pretty cool stuff to me!  The fact that it was live.....network fed...
> and Walter's congenial style added to it all.
>
> Brought me back to those days of Apollo...when we would all watch the
> stuff on TV in school....and listening to the communications between
> Mission Control and the individual astronauts.

Well, for me, it brought back John Glenn's original orbital flight.
It took place during the February school vacation, so I was home and glued
to the TV for the whole time.

Several weeks later, I went to my junior prom.  It so happened that our
Superintendent of Schools in Bedford was also named John Glenn.  When we
went through the receiving line, and we were introduced to "Superintendent
and Mrs. John Glenn," I said, "Oh, back from space!"  I imagine he'd heard
it repeatedly by then, but he was very good-natured about it.

BTW, the Town of Bedford now has a John Glenn Middle School.  I'll bet at
least half the people in town today think it was named after the
astronaut.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/