Re: Two Chicks Dissing

- ->If I recall correctly, the chicks have even stated on the air on WRKO
that,
>before coming to Boston, they did a gig in CT. I don't think they
identified
>the CT station, though, but they either said or strongly implied that it
was
>in Fairfield County. Was it really WMMM, the AM 1260 in Westport? It's
>hardly the kind of market from which one would expect to advance directly
>Boston.

That's what the girls told me to my face (but not in my face).  It is
certainly possible for folks to be discovered at small stations.  WRKO's
Jack O'Brien (now out of the biz), before WRKO, was at WQAM/Miami, but
before that, was at a small Bradenton, Florida station, where he was told he
had no future in the biz, due to his Alabama accent which you have to listen
real hard to to hear on his WRKO airchecks). There are many people likethat.

If I programmed a talk station, whether in Boston or Bismarck, I'd scope
around for talent that was not the same old, same old.  Good talent, in my
opinion, is alive and well, cutting their teeth at small stations.  There's
no law stating that all top talent was born and raised in a major market!

At the time I was there, WJNO was a top Talk station...rated in the top 10
of all talkers in America. My boss, needing a fill-in that would not
sabotage his ratings, went all out to find good, unusual talent.  He lucked
out!

Just my opinion....:) shel