What's playing on WZMX (Non-tight playlist)

        What is this hybrid format of classic rock and classic hits being
called? How about classic rock hits? I guess not.

        Here are some samples from WZMX/93.7/Hartford since its format
semi-change. I wonder whether they already may be shifting their
positioning a little. I have not heard lately the promo they were using the
first few days about "your wife" has her radio station, your teen-age son,
your daughter, but this station is for you. Today, in fact, they had one of
those promos where "listeners" have called in to say how great the station
is and a woman says she keeps saying to her husband, "Gee, remember that
song, isn't that great?" OTOH, this sample list has 22 songs and just one
female artist (Tracy Chapman [!]), although I heard "Hit Me With Your Best
Shot" today.

        These are song sets or parts of sets when not separated by paragraphs:

        Friday 10/9 7:17 p.m.: Riders on the Storm; (spots); Band on the
Run; Centerfield; Indecision (correct title?), by Boston; Cripple Creek;
Suite Judy Blue Eyes.
        Friday 10/16 10:24 a.m.: I Feel the Earth Move; Get Ready (Rare
Earth); Turn to Stone (not Four Tops-the rock band song; I forget who it
is); Spooky (not the Classics IV-rock-band remake).
        Time not recorded: Darling-Beatles; Come, Sail Away; Oh, Pretty
Woman-Roy Orbison; Oya Como Va (? spelling) - Santana . . . Levon; promo
uses snip of Magic Bus.
        Thursday 10/22 12:41 p.m.: Crimson and Clover; Tuesday Afternoon
(Forever Afternoon). Liner: Cool songs other stations won't play.
        Thursday 10/22, about 2:30 p.m.: Rockin' in the U.S.A.-John
Mellencamp; liner: the greatest rock 'n' roll of all time-right here, right
now; Rock On (don't know the band; mentions James Dean); You've Got to Hide
Your Love Away; I'm a Man-Spencer Davis Group; Fast Car [your friendly
monitor really cranks up the volume here].
        Later: promo uses snips of Street Fightin' Man and Saturday Night's
All Right.

        This is a station that must have a playlist longer than 300 songs,
IMO. But no jocks yet, and hardly any female artists (so what else is new
on classic rock?).
        Meanwhile, WAQY was playing "A Dedicated Follower of Fashion." Also
an indicator of a playlist bigger than 300 songs, IMO. That's got to be
about the eighth or better Kinks' song you would have on your list.
        Maybe these stations are positioning themselves to compete with
low-power FM <g>.