Re: Detroit Pirate Shutdown

Dan wrote:

> I think it is also important to point out that nearly all pirate
broadcasters
> do nothing to serve the community.  They are simply broadcasting to
feed their
> own ego or to promote their own fringe religious or political beliefs.
I now
> there are some exceptions, but the quality pirate programmers are just
that,
> exceptions.

Many do Dan, no doubt; But I doubt you work at WMGX for the money, Dan.
And don't tell me the soft classic rock you're spinning keeps ya c'mon
back every weekend.

You're in it for the EGO... just like me, just like Stern, just like
Cousin' Brucie, just like Dan Rather ( and especially Art Bell.. that and
the fact he needs to stay off the bong).

That's why everyone on this list is here almost daily. It's not the only
reason, but it's a big one.

It's the reason there is any broadcasting, I believe.

>As for the average guy making $32,000 not be able to afford a radio
station
>that has been the case for decades.  Since the early 1980's an FM with a
>decent signal in a medium or large market have usually gone for hundreds
of
>thousands of dollars or more.  In major markets, the price increases
from $5
>million to $50 million doesn't make much of a difference.  Both prices
are
>unaffordable for the average guy

Yes, you're right. So, why not change things??? Shake 'em up, as it were.

C'mon Dan, admit it: You don't like reading those liner cards three times
an hour, do you?!?

Not tryin' to bait you, just tryin' to get some passion out of ya!

We certainly agree on one thing: Low Power Broadcasting ought to offer
real service, with an actual license... not a free-for-all.

Take care,
- -Rick