Re: Detroit Pirate Shutdown

In a message dated 10/18/98 10:27:45 PM EST, rickganley@juno.com writes:

<< Harsh word, Dan; "Criminals"??? Like thieves? Murderers? Rapists?
  Please.   Rant Continued>>

I simply believe in calling a spade, a spade.  Our system of regulating the
public airwaves is based on licensed broadcasters and individuals who take the
public airwaves without benefit of a license are breaking the law and as a
result are criminals.  I find it interesting that many on this list are quick
to criticize licensed broadcasters for the most minor rules violations, but at
the same time make excuses for those that are illegally broadcasting.

I think it is also important to point out that nearly all pirate broadcasters
do nothing to serve the community.  They are simply broadcasting to feed their
own ego or to promote their own fringe religious or political beliefs.  I now
there are some exceptions, but the quality pirate programmers are just that,
exceptions.

I do favor opening up part of the FM band to true community microbroadcasters,
which the FCC is now considering.  But those people would need to be licensed
and truly provide community service.  It is safe to say that most pirates
would not qualify for such a license and opening up the band to true community
radio would not result in pirates going away.

I do not enjoy the Spice Girls in 90 minute rotation, but I do not see wall to
wall heavy metal or 80's New Wave run on a CD changer as a major improvement
and that is the programming that has been run by the two pirates that have
been on the air recently in Maine.

As for the average guy making $32,000 not be able to afford a radio station
that has been the case for decades.  Since the early 1980's an FM with a
decent signal in a medium or large market have usually gone for hundreds of
thousands of dollars or more.  In major markets, the price increases from $5
million to $50 million doesn't make much of a difference.  Both prices are
unaffordable for the average guy.

Stations are still available at reasonable prices in small markets.  Many AM
stations out side of big markets can be had for a song.  I won't claim you can
make money with them, but you can easily get band space in Maine for a low
price.

Radio is a business and always has been.  I find it funny that people like
you, Rick, both say that corporate broadcasters are doing a bad job, but that
you can't compete with them.  If they are doing such a bad job, shouldn't they
be ripe for the picking?  The reality is that the public does not really want
the kind of local broadcasting that many of us, including me, would like to
see.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine