Re: Detroit Pirate Shutdown

In a message dated 10/19/98 7:24:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rickganley@juno.com writes:

<< But I doubt you work at WMGX for the money, Dan.
 And don't tell me the soft classic rock you're spinning keeps ya c'mon
 back every weekend.  You're in it for the EGO... just like me,  SNIP

 C'mon Dan, admit it: You don't like reading those liner cards three times
 an hour, do you?!?>>

Actually Rick, about the only reason I keep doing radio is the money.  I am a
capitalist at heart.  I am paid fairly for a part time gig (I actually now
make more per hour than I ever did when I worked in radio full time) and the
$6000 I will make in radio this year pays for extras in my life and makes it
so I can spend money frivolously and not worry about paying the bills.  The
job is also very easy with the hardrive and the thirty minutes of continues
music.  I get paid to read the Sunday Globe.

 I do enjoy doing it, but after 15 years on the radio, I don't need to do it
for ego.  I could listen to old airchecks if I needed that.  Even if some
people do commercial radio for ego, at least they are doing it legally.  My
point on the pirates was that their ego did not justify giving them bandwidth
and that people defend them as community broadcasters and that is almost never
the case.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine