Re: The NAB, continued (PSAs)

In a speech before FCC chairman Kennard spoke, several NAB folks praised
radio for doing so much public service.  They gave a huge dollar figure of
numbers of free spots broadcasting has donated.  Well, maybe I am naive, or
maybe I am deaf, but I cannot recall hearing more than an occasional PSA
during my daily listening.

How this discussion started at the NAB in the first place was that
representatives from RADD and MADD  were there to thank radio for airing
public service spots about not drinking and driving-- while I do recall
SEEING those spots during overnights on TV, I cannot recall hearing any of
them.  Perhaps I am listening to the wrong stations?

How much public service do your stations run, folks?  And is it all in the
overnights?  Feel free to write to me off-list if you worry that your boss
will see your response, but I can't help but feel that there is a
discrepency between perception and reality here-- is radio really doing as
many PSAs as the NAB says they are?   The other thing that started the
discussion at the NAB was the insistence by one of the board members that
the Telecom Act and consolidation have NOT diminished radio's commitment to
public service...