Re: "frequency shorthand"

In a message dated 10/18/98 11:09:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rac_cooney@yahoo.com writes:

<< A radio buff friend of mine has pointed out that there
 is no such thing as an "-AM" suffix. You do have an
 FM suffix, if there's already an AM station with
 those calls. (Otherwise, no suffix is used. >>

Here's an interesting one (Garrett may have the answer to this ..)  One of the
stations I track for Mediabase is actually an AM/FM simulcast.  They identify
as "WWCK-FM-AM, Flint" (The stations are in Flint, MI.)  My question is--is
that a legal ID??  It sounds funny.  I've heard "AM and FM"  but not FM-AM (no
and...)

Mike Thomas
WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks