Re: The NAB, part 2

Bill O'Neill wrote:

> You could say that local radio has become the opposite of fair weather
> friends.  Can we really blame the market for that?   What impresses me
about
> WCAP's involvement during the hurricane seven years ago (at the risk of
> patting myself and colleagues on the back) was that it had the ability to
> blow out network and actually DELIVER the local service.  I am now
convicted
> to the fact that there are some "hard-drive repeaters" out there who
> wouldn't know where the studio mic pot was if they were smokin' it.

I was at WHAV when Hurricane Gloria hit back in 1985.We blew off the music
for wall to wall info/phone calls reporting power outages,downed
trees,blocked streets,etc.And this was done with a skeleton staff on
hand(me,the talk host,another jock,and the station's GM).I agree with Bill
on his "hard drive repeaters"comment.Especially in the Merrimack Valley
area,where satellite,hard drive,or ethnic programming seem to prevail.If we
should experience another hurricane or major weather or emergency event in
the near future,Heaven forbid,how would local radio react to cover,if at
all??                                                                 Mark
Watson