Re: Detroit Pirate Shutdown

 >I'm not surprised that the criminals that
>lurk on this list are not trumpeting that decision like they were some
of the
>earlier statements from the court.

>Dan Billings
>Bowdoinham, Maine

Harsh word, Dan; "Criminals"??? Like thieves? Murderers? Rapists?

Please.

You know, I've worked in many-a-size market, from non-market to major,
and am even a former owner of a commercial FM (legal, yes), and I'm
always AMAZED at broadcasters offended that an "amateur" would DARE use
the airwaves.

Do you ENJOY the Spice Girls on 90 minute rotations, Dan? Heard any good
voice tracked breaks lately? I don't know about you, but I don't, and I
haven't.

Even when I was an owner, I would not join the NAB or MAB (the station
was in Maine). They simply couldn't care less about the small market
broadcaster. The dues were worse then ASCAP/ BMI, too! A good many of the
people at the NAB and FCC are once-and-future lawyers...  not
broadcasters... though I realize that some on this list are both <g>.

Dan, even though my partner and I had the ability to raise the money
needed to buy and operate a station, the majority of people never will.
In fact, there's not a chance in you-know-what that we could ever afford
it today... and we certainly can't compete with a corporate entity that
owns 75% of the market's signals.

Many pirates are terrible broadcasters, sure. I'm not defending folks who
interfere with other signals and play Nazi propaganda programs; but I
also have heard of many reasonable folks who would like to offer a
community REAL community radio, or play varied and different music
formats. (I personally would like to see someone who could mix Zappa,
Vivaldi, XTC and Dean Martin... even the River won't let me do that).

They just don't happen to have $350,000- $12.6 million in the ole'
checking account today.

Gee, think BayBank will loan that to Joe average who earns $32,000?

(RANT OFF)

Thanx for listening....

- -Rick Ganley