Re: "frequency shorthand"

>FM stations had
> done that for a long time, whether they wanted to not, because FM is
part
> of the call letters, in most or all cases (I forget exactly how it
goes)

A radio buff friend of mine has pointed out that there
is no such thing as an "-AM" suffix. You do have an
FM suffix, if there's already an AM station with
those calls. (Otherwise, no suffix is used.) You
may even have stations on AM and FM in two cities
very far from each other,and with different owners;
here, the FM station uses the "-FM" suffix,while
the AM station uses no suffix. Example:
 WCBR (somewhere in Kentucky I think;an AM station)
 WCBR-FM  Arlington Heights,IL

My own station, WMWM at Salem State, doesn't have to
say "WMWM-FM" because, to the best of my knowledge,
there is no WMWM on the AM dial anywhere.(At least
that's what we do in terms of legal IDs...and
on-air promos as well.)

I have seen the "-AM" suffix used in newspaper radio
listings ("WRKO-AM(680)") but that's mostly to clear
things up for people who can't tell the difference
between AM and FM. (Newspapers do slip up, of course.
Have seen my share of misprints--"the Red Sox game
will air tonight at 7 pm on WEEI-FM (850)"  (sic).

Re:WBZ--
 it dropped "Radio 1-0-3 and became "Radio 10-30." I can only
> guess that was done at least partly because 103 also is an FM
frequency.
> Back then, in fact, I believe WEEI-FM/now WODS gave its dial
location as
> just plain 103 at least some of the time.

I think WODS is another station that "rounds off"--
their jingles will say "Oldies 103, WODS", not
"...103.3..."--although they may also say "103.3"
from time to time.