Re: Standards...WXKS-AM, WNEW, WQEW

In a message dated 98-09-19 14:47:15 EDT, LJNF40D@prodigy.com writes:

>I always wondered how much better than their 2.4 the 'XKS-AM format
>would do on a full-signal FM....(???)  If they even hit a 3.0...they'd
>beat Jazz, WROR, Eagle, and WKLB Country.  Make ya' wonder....

When Music of Your Life started in '82,  WXKS-AM-1430 had a 4.7 in the
ratings.  Held in the 4's for a couple years.    Now THAT was really something
for a station on a dog frequency like that, and a daytimer to boot.   However,
Arbitron "adjusts" for daytimers, making things better for the daytimers.
Would standards do better on FM, you ask?  Not too much at all.  Over-50
listeners still consider AM radio as a viable medium.     Look at Maine for
\example.  They have a 5 in the ratings with 3 stations;  2 AM's and an FM.
FM covers most of Portland Lewsiton. Each AM covers each city mentioned above,
but all they get is a 5; which in Boston is remarkable, but in a smaller
market like Portland, it's nothing to get excited about.  It's kinda like in
Boston getting a 2.2 .

- ---jibguy
- ---jibguy