Re: Standards...WXKS-AM, WNEW, WQEW

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998 23:24:36 -0400 (EDT) Sven Weil <sven@lily.org>
writes:

>WABY also broadcasts on AM. I believe
>their FM isn't for Albany. I forget the city of license for WABY-FM,
>but WABY-AM is Albany. Their signal quality is quite good during the day
>and satisfactory at night in the Troy area. I imagine the same holds
>true for Albany? Yes, No?

No.  WABY-FM, at 94.5, is licensed to Ravena.  The signal is barely
adequate, but adequate.  WABY-AM, at 1400 has been plagued by signal
problems.  The signal is good in Albany (the TX is within the city
limits) sparse in Troy, and inadequate in Schenectady, particularly at
night.  Your dealing with three cities here... miles apart -- difficult
to reach for a 1KW AM.  WABY-AM has been standards for years, with poor
ratings.  They got on FM, and that's when the thing took off.

Rick Kelly

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]