Thoughts on "quality rock"

Continuing a train of thought from the Great Barrington trip in my last
post ... Anybody else think the quality rock/adult alternative/"River"
format is about the most interesting out there?

WRVE is a very different station from WRNX Amherst, which in turn is
nothing like WXRV Haverhill. 'RVE leans heavily toward oldies with big
gobs of '60s and '70s nostalgia on the schedule; 'RNX uses the same
"quality rock" tag but is predominantly current; 'XRV, from the little
I've heard, plays more singer-songwriter stuff than either.

You'd think someone would have come up with a formula for this format by
now. Not that I'm wishing that would happen, mind you:) If one does take
shape, which elements would it be likely to retain?

Howard