Re: Standards...WXKS-AM, WNEW, WQEW

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998 14:44:27, -0500 LJNF40D@prodigy.com (BUMP MARTIN)
writes:

>I always wondered how much better than their 2.4 the 'XKS-AM format
>would do on a full-signal FM....(???)  If they even hit a 3.0...they'd
>beat Jazz, WROR, Eagle, and WKLB Country.  Make ya' wonder....

As I might have mentioned before in this forum, WABY-FM iin Albany pulls
some pretty good numbers, using the adult standards format.  And there
signal isn't all that great in the metro area.

>BTW..>Speaking of standards.....does anyone agree that WQEW doesn't
>sound anywhere near as good as WNEW did...?    WQEW sounds sterile.
>WNEW did a good job of showcasing the music in glitz....be it
>personalities....hokey jingles...or program names....like the Make-
>Believe Ballroom"...or "Milkmans Matinee".
>
>WQEW sounds like a 90's AC programmer...programming standards...

It's a matter of taste, I guess.  I appreciate both stations ('NEW and
'QEW).  I mostly get to hear WQEW at night, and the Monday-Friday
7-midnight host, Bat Johnson (who was a CHR jock at 13Q and WNBC during
the 70's) is very smooth, knowledgeable of the music, and personable.
But I also enjoyed Ted Brown and William B. Williams on WNEW.

Rick Kelly

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]