Re: Thoughts on "quality rock"

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998 18:36:49 -0400 (EDT) hmglaz@webtv.net (H Glazer)
writes:

>WRVE is a very different station from WRNX Amherst, which in turn is
>nothing like WXRV Haverhill. 'RVE leans heavily toward oldies with big
>gobs of '60s and '70s nostalgia on the schedule; 'RNX uses the same
>"quality rock" tag but is predominantly current; 'XRV, from the little
>I've heard, plays more singer-songwriter stuff than either.

The more predominant difference with WRVE is, in my opinion, that the
station actually has pretty good ratings.  WRVE's stance is playing some
older, more mainstream familiar music helps attract more passive
listeners to the station: the more eclectic stuff attracts more "active"
listeners (people interested in current music).  Hitting the right blend
seems to be more the key.  Doesn't seem to me that WRNX and WXRV have hit
it yet.  You also have to realize that your predominant competition is
not the classic rock stations... it's really more the AC stations.

Rick Kelly

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]