Re: WSRO (was Re: Professor Doolittle rolls over in his grave (Was Re: WMMW sold)

At 04:21 PM 9/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Anyone know what the WSRO calls stand for?  Interestingly, years ago when I
>discovered the station, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass released an album
>called "Standing Room Only", and my fertile teenage mind put one and one
>together.....likely incorrectly.  can anyone pontificate? SRO "COULD" stand
>for Standing Room Only, by fluke.

As far as I know, WSRO does indeed stand for standing room only--the
situation that the management desired but probably never achieved, even
during the station's heyday (if it ever really _had_ a heyday). SRO refers
to the entire broadcast day being sold out. At one time, MetroWest was an
excellent radio market and WSRO did make money for a while, after going
bankrupt early in its existence. But SRO? I think that was only in
somebody's dreams.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205