Re: Standards

In a message dated 9/22/98 8:15:50 AM EST, Jibguy@aol.com writes:

<<  Look at Maine for example.  They have a 5 in the ratings with 3 stations;
2 AM's and an FM.  FM covers most of Portland Lewsiton. Each AM covers each
city mentioned above, but all they get is a 5; which in Boston is remarkable,
but in a smaller market like Portland, it's nothing to get excited about. >>

Bob is generally correct in his analysis, but when I was at WCLZ, we got very
excited about a 5.  WLAM-FM North WIndham has a real poor signal.  I have been
told that the city grade signal does not get into Portland or Lewiston.  Also
870 WLAM is not a great AM signal.  It covers most of the metro fine during
the day, but can be very marginal in spots at night and is basically non-
existent at night in the Brunswick area, which is part of the Metro.  1470
WZOU covers Lewiston/Auburn fine, but Lewiston/Auburn is not in the Portland
Metro so they get no credit for their listeners in that area.  Despite having
three stations, WLAM does not cover the Portland Metro as well as some of the
more marginal FM signals in the area.  I'm not sure that a move to a more
powerful signal would improve the ratings much, but it is important to
remember that WLAM does better in the ratings now then several other stations
with better signals like the companies two FMs (WTHT and WMWX) and WCLZ.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine