Re: new WODS PD

At 10:27 PM 7/22/98 -0400, Roy Lawrence wrote:

>   I also feel they should expand the playlist beyond the same boring 3,000
>songs! (Hint: Expand beyond 1976) I think it's safe to play a song or two
>from 1978 or '79. This is 1998 Right? Seeing as WEGQ and WROR's
>numbers are not so hot, why not Knock off what they have left, given
>WODS an oppurtunity to move with the times!

Imho this would be a bad move.  The word "oldies" conjures up a certain
image...the Beach Boys, Motown, British Invasion, etc.  Not Saturday Night
Fever.  I think much of WROR's problem (aside from the confusion with the
old 98.5 WROR) is that they are all over the place.  You're forgetting that
members of the Great Unwashed are not radio or music nuts....they tune to a
certain station expecting to hear something (and often "hearing" it,
whether it actually aired or not!)...if a station's format doesn't make any
sense, they won't stick around.  It's all much more subconcious than that,
of course, but hybrid formats rarely work.  A station that will go from
"Locomotion" to "Stayin' Alive" is just gonna confuse people. WODS's
numbers are pretty much in line for an oldies station...it's not a format
you're ever gonna get more than a 3 or 4 share with. Whether you like their
presentation (and processing) is a matter of taste.  As far as adding more
50s music as Joseph Ross suggested, for whatever reason, 50s music on an
oldies station doesn't seem to work anymore...I don't know why.  I
personally don't really care for much music pre-1963 or so, but that era is
really before my time.