Re: Account Exec ads on air...

>Most stations are looking for sales people-- it's a very high energy and
>demanding job, and people either succeed big-time or fail miserably, based
>on what I have seen.  The burn out rate is very high.   I wonder how
>CBS/WBZ (whose ad I heard the other day-- 'we will choose the best 50
>letters'-- you have to write an essay of 100 words of less persuading them
>to interview you...) will do with finding account execs.  Based on all the
>press Mel gets for being a difficult guy to work for, you would have to
>really be an achiever to last at one of his stations, it seems to me...

That's not even the half of it.  I remember reading that when Mel came
into place, he put all the sales people at the CBS O&Os on straight
commission.  No salary at all.  It takes a certain kind of person to
work in an environment like that... and I'm certain quite a few formerly-
salaried salespeople took off in a hurry when that happened.

That being said, I've also heard that Mel is quite good in terms of his
commissions.  If you get the job done, you will be rewarded.  As I understand
it, there's absolutely no ceiling placed on the commissions - if you sell
a ton, you'll make a ton.  If you sell nothing, you don't eat.  Seems simple
enough, I guess...

- -Shawn Mamros (who's definitely not sales material...)
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu