Re: WCAP needs help!!!

SteveOrdinetz wrote:

> At 02:40 PM 7/21/98 -0500, BUMP MARTIN wrote:
>

> >My guess is that the pay is crappy...and the hours suck (holidays
> >included at no extra pay)....and if they would correct at least one of
> >those issues...they would have NO trouble finding employees!
> >

> Given all the people who are getting blown out with mergers, takeovers,
> etc. it is surprisingly difficult to find qualified applicants.  This is
> true even at reasonably successful stations, I can only imagine the
> difficulty of finding someone to board-op a satellite feed for $5/hr.  And
> people on this list wonder why stations automate.

Minimum wage is now $5.25, but that's another story... The pay may not be
great, but the experience gained in the long run is immeasurable. I started my
first job in radio one year ago next week as a board op for baseball games. In
that time, I have done just about everything other than sell advertising (and
G-d help me if I ever have to).

As for advertising open positions on radio stations, I have heard several
stations looking for sales help on the air over the last month or so. WROR,
WXLO and WKVT immediately come to mind. (We stopped running our "help wanted"
ad a couple weeks ago, although as far as I know there is still a position
open.)

Doug Bassett
Full-service employee
(from lawns to logs, and a lot in between)
WKVT AM/FM
Brattleboro, Vt.