RE: WCAP needs help!!!

I would never trade the experience I received at 1000 watt WWON in
Woonsocket during the 70s.  I first got into the station via a blizzard -
the blizzard of 78.  The station manager (Dave) was on the air the next day
and started to play a record with the intonation: "Here's a record that
seems to be pretty popular around the country."  Thirty seconds into the
record, the needle was scratched across the record and Dave returned with
"We'll never here that again."  I figured he was getting tired and snowbound
(Woonsocket RI had 57" in that storm) so I called and offered to help.  I
stayed at the station 24x7 from Wednesday to Sunday, taking phone calls from
stranded elders without food or oil, and finally got on the air Sunday
reading news.  After that, they offered me a min. wage part time on-air
slot, Saturday and Sunday afternoons, and board-opping the Red Sox and
Bruins during the week nights.  I had every idea about what to sound like,
and sounded very different between my first time on the air and the last.
It was both a ego boost (many old classmates were listening, surprise!) and
an education.  I got my first phone while working there, and did production
for many years afterward for the other stations I loved.

Sorry to ramble, just heartfelt memories about days long gone by.

- -Larry