Re: Arnie Ginsburg (was Re: NorthEast Radio Watch 7/9: WTNH Goes to Chancellor)

At 01:24 AM 7/11/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Following is a message Arnie sent me awhile back....it's also posted at the
>Big 68 Remembered site, along with his theme song, and an Adventure Car Hop
>commercial.  Thought y'all might enjoy this:
>
>"I was originally an engineer working at WMEX (long before I went on the air
>there);

I have a hunch that Arnie mistyped, because I doubt that he misremembed this
important detail of his own career. I think that when he wrote the reference
to WMEX in the above sentence, he MEANT to write WBOS. As far as I know,
Arnie did not work as an engineer at WMEX before he went on the air there.
He was already on the air at WBOS when Mac Richmond hired him to work on the
air at WMEX. In fact, it was Arnie's on-air work at WBOS that interested
Richmond in Arnie. Woo-Woo had developed a large following at WBOS and
Richmond wanted those listeners for WMEX. Richmond even allowed Arnie to
keep his real name on the air--something he allowed almost nobody else to
do. However, Arnie did, indeed, work as an engineer at WBOS long before he
went on the air THERE.

Then, of course, there is the possibility that Arnie had worked as an
engineer at WMEX quite a while before he moved to WBOS and quite a while
before the Richmonds bought WMEX. In that case, Arnie's statement refers to
a job he held at WMEX several years before 1956. It must have been early
1957 when Arnie moved the Night Train show to WMEX from WBOS. I don't think
that Arnie was on WMEX until at least a few months after the Richmonds took
over.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205