Re: Echo

At 07:27 AM 7/8/98 -0700, you wrote:

>I can't remember who the DJ's were on 'MEX in 1949-1952.
>The afternoon guy had a high school countdown segment
>(like Bob Clayton's WHDH "Boston Ballroom") inviting students
>to do a top record poll in their school and come to be
>on the show to introduce the results.

Well, I didn't arrive in Boston until late May 1956. And the Richmond
Brothers didn't buy WMEX (out of bankruptcy, I believe)) until either late
in the summer of 1956, or more likely. 1957. So I got to hear a little bit
of the WMEX while it was still owned by The Northern Corp (about which Donna
can tell us so much). I remember that when I first arrived, the afternoon DJ
on WMEX was Jolly Jay MacMaster. He remained at the station after the shift
to the Theater of Beautiful Music, which preceded the Richmond regime. When
WMEX went top 40, WBOS began the WBOS Music Theater to pick up the WMEX
audience. No Boston-area station did beautiful music 24/7 (or even 18/7),
until several years later, when WBOS-FM signed on.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205